HISTORY OF SALINAS VALLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL FOUNDATION
In 1941 local businessman and philanthropist Bruce Church called upon other
influential community members, including Franklin Cornell, James J. King,
T.R. Merrill and Oscar Daley to engage more than 175 civic leaders and
spearhead a major fundraising effort to build a hospital for the people
of the Salinas Valley. Donating the land where the hospital stands today,
Church’s vision inspired action, and more than $300,000 was raised.
The campaign was put on hold with the onset of World War II but resumed
thereafter. Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital was dedicated on March 29,
1953, in memory of the men and women of the armed forces who gave the
ultimate sacrifice for our country, and the hospital recently celebrated
its 65th Anniversary. Please click on the photo to learn more about the
history of SVMHS.
Nearly 30 years later, the Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital Foundation
was formed, helping to solidify fundraising efforts and ensuring that
the hospital and growing network of related healthcare programs, services
and facilities throughout the Salinas Valley would continue to provide
the highest level of medical care. Here is a brief history of our Foundation:
1980 Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital Foundation, Inc. received its 501(c)(3)
1988 The Foundation held its first special event, Royal Feast in the Fields.
1990 The first annual Los Paseos de los Rancheros men's trail ride was held
at Rana Creek Ranch, a tradition that is still going strong today. The
Seeds for the Future campaign also started this year, as did the first
annual Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Gourmet Gala and Telethon events.
1991 The first annual Las Estrellas del Valle women’s trail ride was
held at the Gavilan Ranch, also growing into a longstanding tradition.
The Association for Healthcare Philanthropy Regional Development Showcase
awarded Los Paseos de los Rancheros first place prize in special events
category this year, and it was also the year of the first Help Us Grow
(HUG) employee campaign.
1993 The first annual Cherry's Jubilee was held at Laguna Seca.
1994 The Dream Playhouse Auction was held to support the Children's Miracle
Network Hospitals Program.
1998 The Foundation launched a $2 million capital campaign to expand and update
the Norman P. Andresen, MD Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. The Foundation
also welcomed the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals program as
a fund of the Foundation.
2002 The Foundation launched a capital campaign to renovate the L.M. Tynan
2004 The first annual Berries and Branches Holiday Home Tour fundraising event
was held. Fundraising campaigns were also held to endow a Chaplaincy position
at the hospital and place lifesaving automated external defibrillators
(AEDs) in law enforcement vehicles throughout Monterey County. The Foundation
also became licensed to sell annuities.
2005 The William R. Whitney Family Waiting Room held its grand opening, and
the SVMH pharmacy was renovated and renamed the Oreggia Family Pharmacy,
both of which were made possible with foundation support.
2006 The Museum of Medical History in the Downing Resource Center was opened
with support from the Foundation. Campaigns were launched to purchase
da Vinci Surgical System and further expand the Norman P. Andresen Level III Neonatal
Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
2010 The Tom Merrill Lobby was opened in memory of his longstanding commitment
to supporting the health system. A fundraising campaign for the Nancy
Ausonio Mammography Center was launched.
2015 A capital campaign headed by Norm Nelson, MD, helped raise funds to build
the Taylor Farms Family Health & Wellness Center. The annual SVMHS
charity golf event was renamed the Founders' Cup Golf Invitational
to honor the incredible philanthropy of our Hospital's Founders.
2016 A fundraising campaign to support the new SVMC Diabetes & Endocrine
Center was launched, as was the first annual Physician Giving Campaign.
2018 SVMHS celebrated its 65th anniversary